When I tried to add a WCF Service Reference to a WCF Application hosted on IIS 8 (Windows 8), I got the following type of message,
The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.
Metadata contains a reference that cannot be resolved: 'http://localhost/DataServices/DataService.svc'.
The remote server returned an unexpected response: (405) Method Not Allowed.
The remote server returned an error: (405) Method Not Allowed.
If the service is defined in the current solution, try building the solution and adding the service reference again.
How I Got It To Work Right
- Uninstall and Reinstall IIS from Programs and Features
- When re-installed the IIS, be sure to restart the computer. The OS will not ask you to restart on re-install, but in my case the IIS was completely stuck.
- Next and most important is this, Be sure that in the .NET Framework 4.5 Advanced Services, and under WCF Services, the HTTP Activation is enabled.
Side Notes/ Don't Go There...
- First test with the IIS Express built into your Visual Studio. If that does not work, then there can be a coding issue.
- Do not bother with editing the web.config file yet (to create behaviors and endpoints). The default ought to work.